The Well Fed Yogi: Summer
August 16, 2019
The Well Fed Yogi
Here are the flavors of summer! Blueberries, lemons, tomatoes and fresh herbs all wrapped up in two easy recipes. The Easy Summer Pasta has become a staple in my house as it’s SO quick and easy, and everyone loves it. The Blueberry Crumble can be assembled ahead of time then slipped into the oven just before dinner. Serve it with plenty of ice cream (dairy free is delicious these days!). It’s a treat but an easy one to rustle up.
For the topping:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 6 oz vegan butter OR unsalted butter - diced
For the filling:
- 15 oz pack frozen wild blueberries
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Stir well to combine and set aside.
- To make the topping, place the flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl. Add the diced butter and rub the butter through your fingertips into the the flour mixture until it resembles very large breadcrumbs.
- Pour the blueberry mixture into an 11-inch pie plate and distribute the topping evenly over the top.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the baking tray in the middle of the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 40-50 minutes until the crumble topping is golden brown, and the juices are bubbling up the side of the pie dish.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes or so and serve.
Easy Summer Pasta
- 1 16-oz package of spaghetti OR your favorite pasta
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 14-oz can artichoke hearts halved
- 1 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted olives - black or green or a combination
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- Zest and juice of a large lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Combine the olive oil, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, finely chopped parsley, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes together in a large bowl.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions, drain and pour on top of the tomato mixture. Add the pine nuts and toss well. Add a little more oil if needed, check seasonings and add more salt, pepper or fresh herbs is desired. Serve immediately.
Mary Callan is a Board-Certified Holistic Nutritionist and 500-Hour Advanced Yoga Teacher. For more vegan recipes, visit thewellfedyogi.com.